Thursday, June 7, 2012

Samburgers, take 1

                                              Cost for this recipe: About $2.50* Serves 5-6

I used to work at a restaurant in Baltimore which was owned by the same person as a particularly iconic & odd diner, The Paper Moon. Every inch of the walls & ceiling are covered with everything from plastic army men, to toy gorillas, to old wagons. Toy helicopters swing from the blades of the ceiling fan, and everything on the menu is named after an employee, some local Baltimore-ism, a cartoon character, something... Anyway, one night I talked the owner into naming something after me over there. What did I want, she asked. "The veggie burger," I said, "We could call it the Samburger." "Done," she replied. So for a couple of years or so, the veggie burger at the Paper Moon was named after me (though she got the name wrong & called it Sam's Burger, but the sentiment was there).

I have no reason for telling you that other than wanting to put the name Samburger back into use. This isn't an attempt at the Paper Moon veggie burger (which may very well have been a Gardenburger. I don't remember). Also, I'm calling this Take 1 because I'm not completely satisfied. It tastes pretty good. The texture could use some bulking up. I'll keep working.

But for now, here's the Samburger:

Ingredients


1/4 cup quinoa
3/4 cup water
1 can black beans
1/2 can green peas
small sweet onion
1+ jalapeno
1 slice of bread (I used Udi's gluten-free whole grain bread)
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp curry powder
1 egg

Directions


Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Combine quinoa and water and bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer until all water is absorbed. Dice up the onion finely and saute it in a bit of olive oil. Go slowly so the sugar in the onion caramelizes, and when they're a golden brown color, add the diced jalapeno & cook until just softened.

Put the slice of bread in a food processor to create breadcrumbs and transfer to a large bowl.

Drain the beans and peas in a colander. Rinse with water to get the clingy bean water out, and let them drain fully. In a food processor, pulse the beans and peas lightly so that some chunks remain. Transfer bean/pea mixture to the bowl with the breadcrumbs.

Add the onion and jalapeno to the food processor and grind to a fairly fine texture. Transfer this to the bowl. Add the cumin, curry, paprika, and an egg and mix thoroughly with your hands.

Make 5-6 patties and place on a parchment-covered baking sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.



* I didn't include the bun in the price calculation because of the big price discrepancy among types of burger buns. My gluten-free ones were pricy, as they tend to be (but I give a big thumbs up to these Livwell Gluten-Free Multi-Seeded Rolls! And holy cow, they have pitas & naan, too! I'm a new fan, Livwell) and had I not been trying to take a pretty picture for the blog I'd probably have just eaten them without a bun.

No comments:

Post a Comment