Thursday, November 20, 2014

Zero Dollars Until December (ZDUD)- Day 1

(My apologies for lame pictures this time. Couldn't be bothered with the good camera today.)

My first food project was kale chips because I mean I got two big bunches of kale in the produce delivery and that seemed the obvious place to start. I put olive oil, salt, and nutritional yeast on them and it might be the fact that some health issues I'm having make pretty much no food seem appetizing but I've definitely made better kale chips before. I usually coat them in this tahini-peanut butter-garlic-nutritional yeast-soy sauce combo before I bake them and that's pretty magical. But here are my mediocre kale chips.

A bowl of slightly burned, not terribly flavorful kale chips and shame.

Then, I took some dried red beans I had laying around, soaked them, and later threw them in the crock pot with some white onion I had leftover from something, several garlic cloves, some of the grape tomatoes in my produce box, some parsley I picked when I threw away the last of my container garden, cumin, paprika, salt, a little cinnamon, ginger, and a tiny bit of smoked paprika (I'm not a big smoke fan) and cooked it on low for... kind of forever because I just didn't feel like eating until later in the day, but they probably cooked for 18 hours on low and came out perfectly. I was surprised these were actually really good because usually when I make "poverty beans, "they're never as good as I hoped. But I served these over some brown jasmine rice cooked with a couple of garlic cloves and a dash of cinnamon and they passed the test.



I promise I'll take better pictures and measure stuff next time...


No comments:

Post a Comment